Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Being Thankful!!

This morning, well it started earlier than any other morning for this gal! Cooper needed to be in Ames by 7:30, for a haircut, and I needed to get some last minute stuff for Thanksgiving. Welp, Michael left around 5:30, meaning it was pretty much pointless for me to go back to bed. So, I got out my women's devotional bible, which I finally found what box it was packed in just 2 days ago! I was encouraged as I looked at the tabs I had put on some of the pages, because they contained verses that I found very helpful, MANY years ago!
The passage that REALLY brought me to tears was:
Romans 5:3-5
3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance' 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

God has really been teaching me so much about myself, more so in the last week. I have never realized how prideful I was, both in my relationship to God, and my status as "married". It's almost as if I thought that was a pass to all things good, no problems, or hurdles, especially when it came to having a family. I would find myself getting angry, not at people, but at their situations in life, and wondering why it worked for them to have what I though I should have. God has really been humbling me, changing my mindset when I see a young girl pregnant, or finding out people I know who are not married, or who are but have no desire for children, are having kids. It's amazing what God will use to change one's heart. Oh how I wish I could have learned this a different way, but as I read in Romans, this 'suffering' will not stay a suffering, but will ultimately produce HOPE!!

As we head into the holiday season, I pause to give thanks for MANY things!
1- My God!! He's SO big and he sees the BIG picture, and is daily revealing new things to me.
2- MICHAEL!! God sure knew what He was doing when He lead us together! Michael has had SO much compassion and patience towards me. I am SO grateful he CHOOSES to love me daily!! even when I know it can be tough! :)
3- Family!! Where would we be without them?!?!? I wouldn't want to know!! We are so blessed to have such a wonderful family!!
4-Friends! God has greatly blessed us with AMAZING people to love us!! and to allow us to fellowship with!!
5- Work! I really do love my jobs!! My kiddos, teens, teach me SO much!! The more I do long term shifts, as in overnights for my family, I have a much more appreciation for them! These parents do so much to ensure their kids have a great life, and it's just amazing!!
6- Health! Don't know what to put with this! :)
7- Church Family! Our church, which is where Team McHenry debuted, has been such a blessing to us! Striving to minister to us, and allow us to give back with our time! We enjoy working with the older 3 year-olds!

We have so much more to be thankful for. Christmas, and what it symbolizes is a BIG one!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!
Please keep us in your prayers, especially has we enter the holiday season, I will be seeking out prayer, particularly in the next few weeks!!

~Team McHenry~

2 comments:

  1. Between my first two kids we struggled for two years to get pregnant. I remember being resentful when I heard about other women getting pregnant with their third and fourth babies, without having a hard time. Its hard. I know you lost a baby but I dont know if you are having a hard time getting pregnant... If thats the case if you want to ask me on FB what was wrong with me and what I did to finally get pregnant feel free to! Since finding out what was wrong, getting pregnant hasnt been the struggle that it once was (obviously, since we have four kids now, lol). I'll be praying for you over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear what God is doing in your heart. We struggled to conceive our first, and I remember that was the hardest thing for me - seeing young pregnant girls who didn't want to be pregnant and didn't seem to care about their kids. Since then God has blessed us with 3 kids (in 3.5 years, wow!), and He has also softened my heart to single/teen moms and given me opportunities to choose to move beyond judgment & even have a ministry with a few young single moms. Praying God will continue to work in your life & family, and that He will bless you with a child in His perfect time.

    ReplyDelete